ADMINISTRATION & HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT
The Department carries out routine functions of facilitating and coordinating the operations of the Authority by executing the under listed activities. It also performs other functions that were assigned to it by the General Manager of the Authority.
- Draws the Agenda of the Authority’s Board of Directors’ meeting for ratification by the Board;
- Organizes Meetings of Board of Directors of LAISA;
- Serve Notices of Board Meeting to Board Members as at when due;
- Write Minutes of Board of Directors’ Meeting.
The Administration & Human Resources Department of the Authority ensures effective performance of the following duties:
- That mails directed to other establishments are channelled or dispatched accordingly,
- The Department is responsible for Promotion, Discipline and Upgrading of Staff of the Authority by convening Senior and Junior Staff Personnel Management Board,
- Compilation of Staff Nominal Roll and Seniority List of the Authority,
- Handles all establishment matters affecting the Staff,
- Industrial Relation Matters,
- Organizes all Staff Training and Human Development Programmes of the Authority,
- It services all statutory meetings of the Authority such as Management, Fund Management and Staff Forum.
- It handles staff welfare matters.
- Facilitates regular repair and maintenance of the Authority’s vehicles and machines.
- In addition, it performs other auxiliary duties for the smooth operation of the Authority by making submission and advising the Management on regular maintenance services of the Authority’s infrastructure.
- COMMERCIAL DEPARTMENT
The overall objectives of the Department are to plan, arrange and implement programmes of procurement, storage, transportation and distribution of crops, livestock and fishing inputs to farmers and fishermen.
i.) To ensure regular and adequate availability of farming and fishing inputs and implements to farmers and fishermen in the State at competitive prices.
ii.) To handle the procurement, haulage, storage and distribution of fertilizer to farmers in Lagos State.
iii.) Acquire, construct, enlarge and purchase Cold room for the purpose of storage and the selling of fish and meat.
iv.) Deal in farming implements, agricultural chemicals, fertilizers, food manufacturing materials and their exports.
v.) Provide professional advice to farmers/ fishermen at the point of sales.
vi.) Make agricultural inputs available to farmers/fishermen at the closest location.
vii.) Carry on the business of Agricultural Projects in the widest scope as regards processing, manufacturing, marketing and distribution of all agricultural products and equipment of fisheries, piggery, rabbitry, sheep and goat, dairy and poultry.
viii.) Deal in the business of manufacturing of composite flour, maize flour, potato flours, livestock, poultry feeds and fish feeds.
- ACCOUNTS DEPARTMENT
The Accounts department is the nerve centre of the Authority for it accounts for the in-flow and out flow of funds in the Authority. It deals with the introduction of proper Accounting Standards and regulations for proper recording of financial transactions. It also ensures that necessary machineries are in place for accurate records of financial transactions.
- To ensure adequate and timely fund release and collection from the State Government (Lagos State).
- To ensure prompt remittance of revenue from sales into designated banks
- To maintain proper books of account and records of project finance according to acceptable accounting principles.
- To constantly monitor revenue collection centres for strict compliance with relevant rules and regulations
- To effectively inspect Books of Accounts and other related records of store items at Ojo PDP and all Farm Service Centres.
- To prepare returns, monthly, quarterly, half-yearly and yearly reports for Management
- To keep accurate accounting records and prepare accounting statistics for analysis
- MARKET RESEARCH AND DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT
Market Research and Development Department (MR&D) is a department carved out of the Commercial Services Department to serve as the “think tank” of the Authority.
- To research into new products lines of inputs through exchange of ideas with customers at various farmers/fishermen meetings/fora.
- To develop new business ideas in consonance with the Authority mandate.
- To advice the Authority on product/business diversification where necessary within the concept of the Authority mandate.
- To establish linkage with Research & Extension.
- To advise Management of the cheapest sources of high quality inputs.
- To conduct market price survey on prevailing market prices at different markets peculiar to the sales of agricultural inputs.
- To represent the Authority at various shows and exhibitions.
INTERNAL AUDIT UNIT
The commercial activities of the Authority from her inception in 1995 to date demands that an Internal Audit Unit be established to perform certain duties on behalf of the management. In essence, the Internal Audit is to ensure that an effective internal control system is established in the Authority.
The functions of the internal audit overlap those of the external auditors and in part are quite different.
- To see that the management of LAISA comply with government laws and regulations.
- To make sure that proper book of accounts are in the form required by statutory regulations.
- To make sure that goods procured and supplied are properly kept and accounted for.
- To ensure that proper monitoring of the Authority’s activities is carried out by relevant units or departments.
- To be part of the system in maintaining good and sound internal control measures that will see new LAISA out of the woods.
PLANNING, MONITORING AND EVALUATION UNIT
The overall objectives of the Planning, Monitoring and Evaluation Department is to provide planning support for activities of the Authority, The Department is also to provide timely information on the activities of the Authority as basis for sound decision making and measure and report on its performance and impact.
Monitoring Visits for on-the-spot assessment of activities at Farm Service Centres on monthly basis.
Provision of Computer Services
Computer Services were rendered to all departments of the Authority during the year.
Maintenance of Data Base
The department continued in its function of developing and maintenance of data base of the Authority.
Provision of Planning Support
The PM&E dept. provide planning support for activities of the Authority as well as giving timely information on the progress of the Authority as basis for decision making.
Report Rendition: Compilation and rendition of the following reports;
- Annual Report
- b) Monthly Progress Reports on the activities of the Authority
- c) Quarterly Activity Reports
- d) Mid-Year Activity Reports
Organize Progress Review Meetings of the Authority in conjunction with Administration department.
Represent the management at Progress Review Meetings of the LSADA.
Procurement Unit is an office set aside and guided by the State Public Procurement Law to oversee all procurements in public office. The procurements include goods, stock, furniture and other wares.
The procurements are made in line with the core principles of procurement such as Accountability, Transparency, Impartial and Fair competition, Integrity and Value for Money.
PUBLIC AFFAIRS UNIT.
The unit is saddled with the responsibility of projecting the image and status of ministries, departments and agencies of government state wide. It is normally headed by a Public Affairs Officer who reports directly to the Chief executive officer of the agency.
The P A.O employs various methods in the discharge of his duties. These include:
- Coverage of events and programmes: The unit is the anchor outfit for all internal and external activities of its agency such that all activities are effectively reported in the print and electronic media.
- Press Monitoring: The print and electronic media are institutions of news dissemination and evaluation. The PA O has a duty to monitor activities on this forum with the purpose of bringing relevant portion of information to the notice of the relevant official of the agency or as the case may be react to the news/information.
- The PAO Unit keeps paper cuttings of relevant news and information from the media.
PROPOSED STRATEGIES OF OPERATION OF PUBLIC AFFAIRS UNIT IN LAISA.
- The P A O endeavours to strike a favourable disposition towards the visibility of LAISA among various Stakeholders such that Government policies on matters relating to the agricultural productivity of Farmers and fishermen are well articulated.
- The P A O arranges interactive sessions by groups and corporate bodies where Government policies can be explained to farmers and major stake holders in the agricultural industry.
- The unit organizes public enlightenment programmes and interviews in print and electronic media.
- The unit writes press releases from time to time on issues concerning the organisation.
GOALS AND OBJECTIVES
The Lagos State Agric. Inputs Supply Authority (LAISA) is one of the Parastatals under the supervision of the Ministry of Agriculture. The Authority undertakes procurement and distribution of agricultural inputs to farmers and fishermen in the State to enable the ministry achieve its goal of not only making Lagos State food secured, but also scale up the State’s food self-sufficiency.
It also undertakes among other functions supporting the efforts of small, medium and large holder farming and fishing activities in the State through her activities which include;
- Procurement and Sales of high quality agricultural Inputs to farmers and fishermen in the State at affordable prices.
- Promoting the use of improved Fishing equipment through programmes such as the “Artisanal Fishing Inputs Service Delivery Programme” and by this, improving the standard of living of the populace through other programmes such as “Growth Enhancement Support Scheme (GES)”.
- Put in place a sustainable and reliable agricultural delivery system, which hitherto had been absent in the State.
- Protect farmers / fishermen in the State against the exploitative tendencies of Private Sector distributors of agricultural inputs, through efficient and cost effective inputs procurement and distribution system.